If you haven't heard of VoIP you need to find what this technology can do for you.
If you enjoy talking to family in far away lands but hate to pay long-distance bills, VoIP technology can help.
VoIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol) is a technology that allows you to talk to someone over the Internet - eliminating all need to pay for long distance charges because you use your Internet connection.
What you need to get started:
- High speed Internet or a broadband Internet connection
- A computer microphone
- Some type of VoIP software
Skype is an an example of a VoIP software. The great thing is that it is totally free.
However, if you want to talk to someone through Skype, that person at the end of the computer must also have the Skype software installed.
Here are some great features of Skype:
- It has good quality sound.
- It allows for free telephone conversation to anywhere in the world provided that they have the Skype software installed.
- It allows for chat.
- And Skype allows you to forward calls to your mobiles, landlines or another Skype name.
Now that's just for the person. . . but Skype can even be used to make conference calls. Skype also supports toll free numbers from companies so that it's customers can call for free.
The software works on many operating systems (Mac OS, Windows, Linux, Pocket PC) and is very simple to use.
To find (a lot) more information or to download Skype visit Skype.com.
Technorati Tags: gadgets, technology, Skype, VoIp.